Sunday, December 11, 2011

Hair Tips & Tricks

I have the weirdest hair in the world. It is impossible to deal with sometimes. When I lose the battle with my hair it ends up in a very messy bun on my head. To make matters worse, I am beginning to get patches of gray roots at 26 years old! I have been fighting this battle with my hair for most of my life. My hair is dark, thick, wavy and long with an oily scalp and dandruff in the winter. I have decided that when I start my professional career looking for forensic psychology jobs it has to be under control. I cannot interview for a position with my hair looking wild. Here are some tips and tricks that have worked well for me.

Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer. My ends are always damaged from the things I do to make it cooperate. It is fairly cheap and I've heard other benefits from eating it. I picked up a container of extra virgin coconut oil at Wal-Mart near the vitamins and supplements. I melt a little bit between my hands and run it over the ends and any fly away.

To keep the static away, I run a dryer sheet over those fly aways. Easy does it however, it can leave hair feeling greasy if rubbed into your hair too hard. Another option is to rub lotion on your hands, and rub your hands over your hair to smooth it down.

To keep my dandruff away, I picked up a medicated shampoo. It says it is safe for use on color treated hair.

I cannot afford to visit a salon, or even to use commercial boxed hair dye. I would need 3 boxes to dye all of my hair. I did my research and got advice on how to use salon quality hair color and developer to mix at home and dye my hair. I follow up with a deep conditioning treatment that seals in the color.

If you want to just dip your toes into dying your hair, I'd recommend esalon.com. They ask a ton of questions about your hair and what you'd like and create a custom color with directions for you. They also include things you'd never think of with your first order, including a timer with a battery, a shirt protector, a brush and bowl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment