Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Easy Pedicure

I have been so busy with school lately; I took time to get lunch with a friend today. We ended up at my place fixing our nails. She told me that she has been thinking about getting a degree, but wasn't sure in what field. I asked her what her favorite subject before was and we looked up how to get an online accounting degree. I loved seeing her so excited and smiling about a possible degree to look into.

We gave ourselves the best pedicures right at home today! I love taking off my socks in the winter and looking down at my pretty polished toes. Here's how we did it:

  • Remove all nail polish with a cotton ball and polish remover. I like the one without acetone. I use acetone polish remover to get glittery polish off easier without scrubbing so hard.
  • Trim, file, and shape nails. It is easier to do this when they are dry because they won't tear as easy. Don't clip too short or at an angle to prevent ingrown toenails.
  • In a hot tub of water we soaked our clean feet with some Epson salt I had on hand and a bit of extra virgin olive oil. It helped to relax the muscles in my feet and moisturize the skin. Soak for 15 minutes.
  • Pull one foot out at a time to push back cuticles and scrub feet with a pumice stone or a handful of salt. Only push the cuticles back. Never cut them, they protect your body from germs. If any polish remains now is the time to remove. Rinse and dry feet, then apply a hand cream or lotion.
  • The final step is to apply a bit more polish remover only to the toe nails. I like to use a Q-tip dipped in the remover. It helps polish stick easier when there is no oil or lotion on the nail.
  • Use a base coat first! It prevents nails from getting stained and allows color to grip easier.
  • Pick your favorite color of polish. I love red polish on toes, it looks festive for the holidays coming up, and it’s classic and beautiful.
  • Top it off with a beautiful clear top coat. The glossier the better in my opinion!
  • If there are any mistakes, use the same Q-tip with polish remover to gently wipe it away. If it's not perfect, don't worry. It will come off later.
  • Once your polish is dry, rub some cuticle oil or cream around your toe nails. It helps to keep them hydrated and healthy. I had a piece of polish that was too close to my nail, I used my finger nail to get it off.
Also be sure when cleaning up to take care of the tools you used. Wash nail files and clippers. Use a nail brush with some antibacterial soap to gently scrub the files and clippers, rinse and allow to dry thoroughly. It prevents possible future infections or fungus from occurring.

No comments:

Post a Comment