Sunday, March 4, 2012

Homemade Healing Facial Mask

As a woman with oily combination skin, I have many problems I'm sure other women share as well. Recently at a department store, I ended up discussing my skin concerns with the sales woman. She recommended the Clear Improvement Mask from Origins. It seems quite expensive for such a small bottle however. I'm a broke college student looking for as many scholarships and grants as I can find, even the crazy scholarships! I have to be careful about my spending, so I did some research and decided to create my own mask with items found at the health food store. In the end it cost nearly the same amount of money as the premade mask; however I have about 50 times the amount of product now.

Indian Healing clay has been raved about in many YouTube videos and blogs. The clay is supposed to pull out all of the toxins from the skin, leaving it refreshed.
Active charcoal is known to pull toxins from the skin. It can stain surfaces quite easily however, and could cause a tattoo effect in any open cuts or sores. You want to get capsules so it is in a powder form that is easily accessible.
Aloe Vera is a known natural healing plant. It has a soothing, moisturizing effect when applied to the skin.

Before beginning, be sure to wear a black shirt and do this at night in case of any staining. Plan on rinsing it off in the shower because it is so messy. Being ever so careful, I opened 2 charcoal capsules by twisting and pulling them apart. I did this inside of the stainless steel sink so I wouldn't stain the counter. I dumped the contents into a ceramic bowl. Use the bowl to catch any falling debris as you carry the empty capsules to the trash. Then add about an equal amount of the Indian Healing clay to the bowl. Finally, using a Q-tip, I stirred in about 1/2 a teaspoon of natural Aloe Vera juice. It should form the consistency of a paste, not too runny or too thick.

I applied the mask to clean skin and waited about 20 minutes before rinsing off in the shower. It had a very tight feeling and felt like my face was pulsating. It splattered as I rinsed my face off, however did not stain the shower because I rinsed it off right away. When I was finished, it left a tight feeling. I patted my face dry and applied a thick facial lotion right away. I recommend this mask to the average person about once a week, for oily or combination skin about two or three times a week should be sufficient. 

No comments:

Post a Comment